Rich Mitered Crochet Throw-Update

10:28 AM Posted In , , Edit This 2 Comments »
....Way back on February 4th (according to my Ravelry Notebook) I started on the Rich Mitered Crochet Throw. From that time until last night, September 26th, I had only 8 squares completed (see THIS POST on the photo of the square). So, I decided to reacquaint myself with this project. I finished 2 more squares for a total of 10 out of 30 needed.

Now this project is a breeze and should be absolutely gorgeous when finished. That's not what the problem is. It's just that I despise having to make 40 gazillion squares! Does anyone else have this problem? I love granny squares, don't get me wrong. Their so versatile and easy. I think I have that "2nd syndrome". You know, the one just like the "2nd sock syndrome" they always talk about in knitting?

So, what I did first thing this morning is I went and created a ticker thing and put it at the bottom of my page. I thought that this might motivate me to get this project finished and wiped off the slate of 'Things To Finish' if I could see how close I was to getting it done.

I am weaving in the ends as I complete each square just like was suggested. I'm really having to make myself stick to that because I'm so anxious to get on with the next square I just want to leave it till the end. But again, I know if I don't it'll never get done.

And here's another thought of mine. After all squares are complete I'm going to wash them and then block. But how the heck am I gonna block all 30 squares? I don't have anything big enough to put all 30 on and I'm not sure how long it takes for acrylic to dry? Any thoughts? I hate to do only a few at a time, but at this point that looks like that's gonna have to be the way.

2 comments:

Amy said...

How about steaming each block with an iron?

knitguyla said...

Your local craft store might have something like this.

http://www.knittersreview.com/article_tool.asp?article=/review/product/071213_a.asp

There are tons of versions of them at various price points so look around.

I'd be hesitant to steam block acrylic, the heat tends to flatten the fibers if they get too hot and they never come back. I speak from experience.

I did a blanket like this once (in squares) and the key is to cast on for the next one as soon as you finish one!

Good luck! Joe